Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Chrysalis 2- in My Drawers

Chrysalis 2
Etching, aquatint with gold embossed
rubber stamp
Image size: 7" x 5"
Paper size: 12.5" x 9.5"
Edition of 20
©NanciHersh
$150.00

                                                             
This etching with aquatint started out as a demo plate for my class when I was teaching printmaking at Monmouth University in Long Branch, NJ.

A highly personal piece (I do wear my heart on my sleeve) it later became the iconic image for the Art of Survival at Herspace, an annual art exhibition honoring women who have been touched by breast cancer.

Following my bilateral mastectomy in 2003,  I felt tight and sore, and was scarred physically and probably a bit, emotionally. I saw myself creating a healing cocoon around my raw body.

And like a butterfly who emerges from her cocoon when the time is right, I trusted, that I, too would emerge and take flight.

Click here to see the post about What's in My Drawers and be in the loop for the rest of the art and stories in this blog series.







2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nanci, I really like this piece a lot. I think it is beautifully done. Am I wrong to think that it shows both strength and delicacy, solidity and etherealness, a juxtaposition of opposites. I think it makes quite a statement. - Jim

Nanci Hersh said...

Thank you @Jim Carpenter, I greatly appreciate that you find all that in my work. truly.