Sunday, September 9, 2012

Born Again Lamps

New York based artist Rebecca Kelly is this week's guest blogger for the Artist as Collector Series
Menorah
Recycled spoons and found objects
17"(h)  x 16" (w)
©2012EllenSall
Collection of Rebecca Kelly

I was curating "transFORMations: Making art from recycled and reclaimed materials" for the Bucks County Community College Artmobile and I knew I wanted Dumpster Diver Ellen Sall's lamps in the exhibition. I travelled to the Dumpster Diver temporary gallery in South Philly and fell in love with a menorah Ellen had made out of silverware. 

It reminded me of a childrens' book that told a story about Jewish prisoners in a concentration camp who put together stolen spoons to create a menorah to celebrate Hannukah in the darkest of times. 

I had to have the piece- but, you guessed it- it was sold. 

Ellen kindly offerred to make a new menorah which was in the exhibit. I had to wait a long time to actually get the menorah (the Artmobile exhibit traveled for two years around Bucks County) but it was worth the wait. The piece now graces our Manhattan studio apartment. 


Rebecca Kelly is a mixed media sculptor and book artist who draws upon her experience as an actor and teacher, as well as a storyteller, to create her work as a visual artist. Rebecca is also currently expanding her oeuvre into textile explorations when she is not curating, teaching or doing her own dumpster diving.



3 comments:

Sharmon Davidson said...

The menorah is waaaaay cool; I can see why you had to have it! It amazes me that people can make such beautiful things from trash!

Denise Bellon West said...

I'm seeing a theme here. "I just had to have it." I wonder if only artists feel this intensely about the art they buy. Quite beautiful; hard to believe that it started as a lamp!

Nanci Hersh said...

@Sharmon- I wish I had it... Rebecca Kelly was the guest blogger for this post. She was the curator and one that had to have it, and we all can see way. So innovative and beautiful. and I do love spoons (forks and knives too!)

@Denise- we are passionate about our stuff, aren't we. As artists we appreciate beauty, creativity and innovation, that's why I love having the series, we get to see moe wonderful art.
Thank you both for commenting!