Monday, January 16, 2012

Timeless Travels and Inspiration

This week's Artist as Collector is from photographer Niki Berg who sent me this post from a stopover en route to India where she will be traveling this month.
Magdalena Abakanowicz
from Facing Sculpture
©2012RicardoBarros from

"Hello from Germany,

Here I am sitting in a cafe in the airport waiting for my flight to Chennai, India. The reality of being a traveler is already felt with the awareness of a very large and diversified world to explore. Time has become timeless somehow. Traveling through multiple time zones and feeling fluid enough to function in the present.  I hope I will feel this way for the next leg which is even more dramatic.


Some years ago I read about a workshop being given by Ricardo Barros on "Marketing Your Photos". It was given in Cape May, New Jersey, where I had never been.  It was a marvelous experience. Richardo is a wonderful person, photographer and teacher. 



We did a trade of photographs and I chose two of the wonderful and inventive portraits from the project "Facing Sculpture". One of which is this photo of Magdalena AbakanowiczShe is an amazing sculptor. I chose this portrait for her magnificent face and satisfying expression, as though she just finished one of her magical pieces.  Her expression says "life is full and perfect." 

Thanks NIki- safe and wonderful travels... looking forward to seeing the new work that will transpire from your adventure!

What is your collection that speaks to you of joy and satisfaction?

3 comments:

trekking in india said...

The Himalayas, home of the snow, is the most impressive system of mountains on the earth, and for centuries the setting for epic feats of exploration.

Patty said...

What a gorgeous face, satisfied and delighted, yet knowing. I can see why this photo would be a favorite.

Karen F. Rose said...

Captivated by the freedom movement and overall sense of joy. Wow I love this photo.