Saturday, January 21, 2012

Visual Meditative Treat

Warm island thoughts on this frozen east coast day...

From the island of Kauai, this week's Artist as Collector post comes from A.Kimberlin Blackburn.
Michael Harada
Boy in Water, 1993
Acrylic on board
13" x 13"
©2010MichaelHarada
This is Michael Harada's Boy in the Water.

I bought it from a show in Honolulu in the early '90s
I was just taken with the contemplative feeling
surrounded by the ocean
feels to me like love

its a visual meditative treat especially when i can't get  into the ocean
as it reminds me how much i love just hanging in the water



Kim's work is my collection, as is Mike's. Great memories of art making, exhibiting and being in a critique group than met on a regular basis. Mike Harada also shaped and glassed my beloved longboard! 
Nanci & Her board, Wailalua, HI
Joe Solem Photography
Artwork on board by Nanci,
Shaped and glassed by Mike Harada
Note to Kim, Mike and Joe... Lucky you live Hawaii. (but you know that) and Mahalo, Kim.


What's on your walls that reminds you of where you love to be?


About this week's Guest Artist Blogger:
A.Kimberlin Blackburn is a painter, sculptor, bead, fiber and installation artist.  She also lives on the beautiful island of Kauai and grows things. We met many moons ago when we exhibited together on Oahu at the Art Loft and her work graces my home.

2 comments:

Lorenn Walker, J.D., M.P.H. said...

So great you had a pic of it Nanc because I think that's the board Annie the dog ate! Maybe because it was a longboard and she grew up around short ones...? We're still sorry. Love, Lorrie

Nanci Hersh said...

This board is alive and well in my garage, happy to report. The one Jim shaped for me was my first custom board. The one in the photo, came after that. No need to apologize, all is good. Think of you often and hope to see you in June. We need to talk about that!

Happy New Year!