Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Generating an Art Buzz for an Altered Book Workshop

A hunter & gatherer by nature, I am in the process of gathering materials and samples for my upcoming Altered Book Workshop at DCAD (Delaware College of Art & Design) on Saturday, March 3, 2012.
My Gratitude Journal gets a facelift
Selection of Altered Books in progress
©2012NanciHersh
This too, Shall Pass (detail)
Altered Book
©2012NanciHersh
The college has a catalogue, both in print and online, but we all know that there are so many things vying for our attention- and time, that as artists, we often need to educate, inform, and yes, market our classes and workshops.

Here are some things I plan to do.

Create a Facebook Event.

Blog about it.

Blog some more.

Create an email blast.

Create flyers to be distributed on DCAD campus,  Hockessin Book Shelf (owner, Rebecca has even offered to generously donate old books to be altered for workshop participants), Tideline Gallery,
and Willow on State, Kennett Square, PA.

And of course, offer a link online to register. Course # FA0204

Any suggestions? What have you done in the past to generate a buzz on a workshop or class that you have taught?

4 comments:

Karen F. Rose said...

Hey Nanci good luck with your workshop. Is there a display case at the college where the art can be put on display as a teaser. Also how about a You Tube video:)
Go for it!

Nanci Hersh said...

Great ideas Karen... you got me thinking- especially about making a video.

Thank you!

Tatiana Garmendia said...

How did the workshop go? Your photos were intriguing enough that if i didn't like way across the country I'd have been first in line to register.

It's been ages since I created an accordion book, and now you have the wheels in my head turning.

Let us now when you make the youtube vid. I'd love to see your work in that format.

Nanci Hersh said...

The workshop is next month Tatiana... maybe I will stil have time to make that video. I am having fun watching others to get a feel for them. You can learn to do/make anything on YouTube!