Sunday, August 5, 2012

Belonging Together- Artist as Collector from Israel

Israeli artist Hagit Shahal is this week's guest blogger for the Artist as Collector series.
Woman in Studio
Oil on masonite
46 x 33 cm, 18" x 13"
©2012ManeKatz
In April 2010 I had an exhibition at Stern Gallery in Tel Aviv in which I was forming a dialogue with chosen classic paintings form the gallery collection.
One of the paintings was a beautiful small piece of Mane Katz, a known Jewish artist. This painting inspired me to create a work of my own as a dialogue. The two works hung together in the gallery- they looked so belonging to each other.

At the end of the exhibition, Monday noon time, after taking my work back to my studio, I came home, and my husband came towards me and handed me Mane Katz's painting…
"these paintings had to stay together, so I had to buy it"


Hagit Shahal is a painter and printmaker living and working in Tel Aviv.





No comments: