Sunday, August 19, 2012

Art for Protection in Collection

Hawaii based artist Dorothy Faison is this week's guest blogger for the Artist as Collector Series.

Most of the work I have are antiques and Oceanic artworkI thought I'd show an 18th or 19th Century engraving of animals or birds (have a few) but then I saw these pieces which have been very influential in my "protection" series and got me into working on copper. 

These were purchased in Bolivia in about 1965/66 and given to me by my mother.
St. Joan of Arc
Oil on copper
7" x 5"
Bolivian (prob. or Latin American)
artist unknown
St. Francis of Assisi
Oil on copper
7" x 5"
Bolivian (prob. or Latin American)
artist unknown
They were made to be pinned up over the bed while traveling.

Oil on copper
©2012DorothyFaison

Oil on copper
©2012DorothyFaison

These two pieces are part of Dorothy Faison's protection series which were influenced by the work in her collection. 

Dorothy lives and works in Honolulu. She was born in NYC and then lived in South America for several years as a child before settling with her family in Hawaii. She is also the creator of the Historical Lawnboat Society.

"red star at night- sailor's delight, red star at morn- sailor's take warn..."

what hangs above your bed for protection?

No comments: