Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Aha! Moment


My "gathering nets" are evolving in the heat of these summer months. It seems they are morphing into hives, serving as both a sanctuary as well as, a holding and filtering vessel.  The original wire, pulp and encaustic structures function more as skeletal supports and inner collections. These organic forms have become encased in netting (ok pantyhose- thanks to a family connection to hosiery, and lots of it) that have been, cut, burned and sometimes embellished. Much like the skin that covers my body (though no piercings- yet.) 


(Note: writing this is one of those self realizations and aha! moments. ah the power of writing about your work)


This evolution is both natural and surprising. There it is again. The body, home, and sense of place all finding its way into my work.  With that in mind, I felt that these nets needed to be in nature, where I am most at peace.  

    

And here in the Delaware Valley Region of the country that place is in a preserve where I walk with my dogs in and around the creek.
Finding a place in the sun with cool water and lovely shadows.
A sense of peace, a sense of place.
Add caption
The journey is the destination.

2 comments:

Sharmon Davidson said...

Wonderful, wonderful work, Nanci! I love how you installed them outdoors; they're so organic, they look just perfect!

Nanci Hersh said...

Thank you Sharmon... I am always on the lookout for a good spot for this work, they keep morphing and growing. I appreciate you visiting my blog and commenting. Would you like to be a guest blogger for the artist as collector series? It's a fun pay it forward- Donna selected you... and we can see who is in your collection?