Friday, December 2, 2011

Shadow Drawings of Nets

Watching the process and evolution of an idea is fascinating.  Often we get a glimpse of an idea, we follow it, not sure where it will take us.  We even question the validity of the path, but we continue.
And the path, is rarely a straight line. But the journey is the adventure.
Shadow Nets #10/11
Charcoal, graphite, gesso, Stabilo aquarelle
on paper
30" x 22"
©2011Nanci Hersh
What began as an idea- my cutlery out of wire, pulp, encaustic and collage, then a dream about butterfly nets, then I began to make my own nets, then photograph them, and now the drawings from their shadows.  ah, the shadows. I do love shadows.

Utensils, 2006
form Inherently Found Series
Wire, pulp, encaustic, collage
©2011NanciHersh
Sometimes you know where you are going and you still end up somewhere different.  Sometimes you don't know where you're going- or even where you are- but you still keep going. 

But always, you must follow your heart.

4 comments:

Karen F. Rose said...

Follow your heart. Thoughtful and sincere sentiments Nanci. Love shadows too!

Nanci Hersh said...

Thanks Karen... it's interesting how we can see a path from where we've come and maybe none ahead, but we forge on. Thank goodness we have our work to help us make sense of it all.

Tatiana Garmendia said...

These are so felt. The Shadow Drawings of Nets are especially moving.

I just finished reading Women & Art-Contested Territory and was quite taken with Chicago's passionate plea for meaning in art. I think you prove that an artist can be sensitive to materials and to process without giving up content.

Nanci Hersh said...

Tatiana- I remember seeing Judy Chicago's dinner party when I was a Pratt student. Now that I think about it her work had a profound influemce on me, Thank you for your comment and for mentioning that book. I will have to check it out.

It was also great seeing your work on Alyson Stanfield's blog yesterday! Congrats. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.