Friday, March 14, 2014

Prima Donna on My Wall- Artist as Collector Series

Alyson B. Stanfield of ArtBizCoach is this week's guest blogger for the Artist as Collector Series.
Prima Donna on a Bad Hair Day
by J.Don Cook
wood, steel, brass, copper, wire, bone,
paint, animal hair
53" x 12" x 3"
When I was a young curator, there was a coffee shop in Oklahoma City called Medina’s. It was owned by artists Paul and Grace Medina and was a bona fide artist hangout. 

It was a coffee shop before its time – before anyone in Oklahoma had even heard of Starbucks. 

J. Don Cook had a show there at one point. He made his name as a photojournalist, but expanded into sculpture by the time I was introduced to him. I didn’t know much more about him. All I knew was that I loved Prima Donna on a Bad Hair Day and had to have it. 

As I recall, it was about $175 or $200 and I didn’t have that kind of money. J. Don let me pay it off, which probably took me months. And he didn’t charge interest. (As an artist business coach now, I’d advise him differently.)

This piece hangs above our kitchen table – between two large windows that look out to the Rocky Mountain Foothills. 

It makes me smile! Not just because it’s delightful, but because it was one of the first pieces of art I acquired.


Alyson B. Stanfield  is the author of the book I'd Rather Be in the Studio, the Artist's No Excuse Guide to Self Promotion, my personal go-to book from everything to writing an artist statement, getting organized or getting a gallery. Alyson also teaches workshops in person and online and has a plethora of material available to help you take control of your art career and share it with the world.

3 comments:

liza myers said...

Wonderful work, wonderful sentiment! From two of my favorite art-world people. Nanci thank you for doing this wonderful series! And Alyson, so cool to see a curator/artbiz guru's/art collector's collection.

Alyson B. Stanfield said...

Thanks for sharing, Nanci! I'm going to send J. Don over here to see it, though I imagine he'll cringe at my photography.

Nanci Hersh said...

Honored Liza to be one of your favorite art world people, thank you. and Thank you Alyson for sharing Prima Donna with us, she's in great company- as are you. So glad you are a part of this series!