Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Thoughtful Simplicity for the New Year- Artist as Collector

New Year- May it be Happy Healthy Creative Prosperous and Joyfully- Simple.
Rhythm and Hues
Cotton fabric (hand-dyed), flannel,
embroidery thread
©Kathleen Probst
Starting off on the right track, painter Amantha Tsaros is our guest blogger for the Artist as Collector Series where each week a new artist who opens her/his doors and shares with us a piece of art that they have in their collection by another artist. It's a great way to see how we find and create space in our lives for inspiration.

Textile Artist, Kathleen Probst, lives across the country from me in Meridian, Idaho - but I have got two of her artworks are right here with me in Lexington, MA. Kathleen is my art business accountability partner – we keep each other in line when it comes to business and marketing. I am also an ardent fan of her work.

Kathleen makes minimalist-modern textile art quilts which reference natural elements. She hand-dyes her fabrics and uses machine-stitching in her work.

Rhythm and Hues was a piece that she had just posted on Facebook and I fell in love with it right away. I could imagine it in my home and had a spot for it. Lucky for me I acted fast as she had a number of people vying for the work. 

The colors are wonderful – the leaf shapes are bouncy yet soothy and the autumn colors reference my favorite season.  It is the first thing visitors see when they walk in my home and I love walking past the happy yet soothing shapes.  Her ability to evoke emotion with minimalism is something I admire and hope to emulate. 

Kathleen’s work is a daily reminder to strive for thoughtful simplicity.

Amantha Tsaros lives and works in Massachusetts. Through her paintings and monotypes, she gives form to the internal life in paint, bringing emotional and spiritual states to light.


2 comments:

Sharmon Davidson said...

Thoughtful simplicity is certainly a worthy goal, and that quilt is likewise a worthy purchase. Great choice!

Nanci Hersh said...

Sounds like a mantra @Sharmon doesn't it... thoughtful simplicity, thoughtful simplicity, and as you said a lovely way to be reminded. Thank you and Happy New Year