Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Five in Fiber- An Up Close and Personal View

I am excited to have my work included in a show opening this Saturday, October 26 at Gallery 37 in the artsy/river/bay town of Milford, DE. 
Notice the soft textural background in this poster?  It is a detail from one of my sculptural works. The photo was taken by Amy Tucker Photography. I met Amy at a women's networking event. Primarily a wedding photographer, I asked her to come by and see what kind of interesting shots she could take of my sculptural nets. 
Life Lines II, detail
©NanciHersh
Photo by Amy Tucker Photograph
I use paper pulp, wire,  and collage are used to connect life experiences such as women’s work, family, trauma and loss, aging and my love, fear- and connection to water.
Life Lines II, detail
©NanciHersh
Photo by Amy Tucker Photograph

Shadows cast on the wall by the nets are an integral part of how the work is experienced. Shadows, like cancer, or other trauma, can offer us a new perspective on things- depending upon where we stand.
Orchid, detail
©NanciHersh
Photo by Amy Tucker Photograph
These filtering nets reference the body which houses our spirits as well as our baggage. 

No comments: