Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pressure Prints - Just for You

Minnesota based artist Diana Eicher is this week's guest blogger for the Artist as Collector Series.

Just for You, 2009
Pressure Print
©2012RachelNusbaum

I coordinate the Printmaking and Papermaking areas at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design and was working at the school art sale last November, 2012. It was there that I saw Rachel Nusbaum’s work. Rachel had been a student at MCAD and I had seen her prints before.

There are hundreds of prints at the Art Sale, but for some reason, these caught my eye. These were pressure prints that Rachel had done in a class on the Vandercook press, and I knew that I had to buy them. I decided to buy several of the prints so that I could have option of framing them all together or frame them each independently. 

I love the colors she chose, and the themes that she used in this series. With their small size and the pressure printing technique, she created very unusual prints that I found very unique from the rest of the work. I put them to the side, and at the right time, I purchased them when the Art Sale crowd was at a minimum. 

Diana Eicher is a printmaker and paper cut artist. She recently had a solo exhibition of her work in Shanghai, China at Donghua University.

No comments: