Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What to Keep and What to Share

As we go full steam ahead in our Blog Triage class I find myself thinking about journaling vs. blogging. The whole who, what, when, where, and why.

I have always journalled, or when I started, it was called a diary.  My first, was a small pink book with gold trim, a cushy cover and came with a little lock and key.  I even gave a name for my diary - Star.
I would write  "Dear Star"... and then go on about some girl in my class - or some boy or some other adolescent angst. I would also go to great lengths to keep my writings private. Lock and key, hide it under my mattress, anything to keep it away from my then, very pesty younger brother, and later, my parents.

Private Pages, 2010
Artist Book: Wire, encaustic, collage
7.5" x 5" x 1"
©2010NanciHersh
But as a blogger, I want to share and exchange images and ideas.  View my entries as a conversation starter.  See WHERE blogging will take me, us.

This brings us back to the WHO - the idea of my Ideal Reader. (Hello, are you listening?)

Private Pages (detail)

As I start checking out my classmates and other good blogs I see that great visuals are a must. Clear shots of art, of colors, textures, places, people, a compelling image - as a dear friend once said. Helpful techniques, links and interesting writings about art, yoga, life, finding balance, clarity, creativity and nothing too long- oops.

So for today it is balance I am seeking. As artists who blog, and bloggers who make art;
How do you balance your time to make art and to write about it. How do YOU determine what to keep and what to share?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A thought provoking question which, if you think about it, can be applied to many careers and interests!

As a blogger of two distinctly different blogs I need to make that distinction on only one, the Rocking Chair Journal.
http://rockingwithdannie.blogspot.com

One is a recording of photos and information, the other is a blog of memories, random thoughts, and tweaks of controversial issues. That is the place where I decide what to share and what to tuck away until another time. This is also the blog that I most enjoy and is my release from all that might be bothering me.

The Aluminist blog
http://aluminist.blogspot.com is one that I feel a strong sense of duty toward. I started the information trail on this collectible many years ago and apparently am expected to record all we've learned since then!

So! I keep both sides of me blogging away, sharing my memories and my accumulated knowledge. The writer within me won't let me stop.

Surely there'll be responses from those writer/artists and others who have coped with this problem.

dannie woodard said...

All you or any one else needs to do is click on leave a comment. Earlier my google account ID wouldn't let me post.
Dannie

Nanci Hersh said...

Hi Dannie,

Thanks for visiting and commenting. I will check out both your blogs. I too, have two blogs. The one I am working on in class, and one that goes with a book I illustrated, Butterfly Kisses and Wishes on WIngs. My cousin Ellen McVicker wrote the book so she has the job of blogging on that. Though I am sure to share with her everything we are learning here.

Are you focusing more on your rocking with dannie or aluminist blog? Do you get feedback on one more than another?

Alyson B. Stanfield said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alyson B. Stanfield said...

Um, nope. Wonder if you have to use html tags like this

Alyson B. Stanfield said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dannie woodard said...

Re Feedback: On the Aluminist, I receive feedback in the comment section: a few questions or mentioning an item in their own collections. I get occasional comments on the Rocking blog, but I get many more comments on FaceBook. As I said in class, FB is a friends and family setting.

I write much more on Rocking because its such a "write as the mood strike" blog.
For the Aluminist, I must think and plan and check my statements and all that type of thing, so I don't feel like doing it as often.
Dannie

I am glad that yesterday's full day's work finally paid off with my achieving the two different "about me" statement via a page link.
Whew, what a class!

julie susanne said...

I wrote about 20-30 posts before asking for feedback from other friends/artists.

I had to narrow my focus.

The random/interesting stuff I now post on my personal facebook page.

My art blog I post about my artwork and art related info I have found helpful and want to share. Yep keeping it short is a challenge!

Nanci Hersh said...

Thanks for commenting Julie. I am finding that blogging is like painting, in that you have to work/post consistently to find your groove. I started this blog a year or so back and am now committed to posting regularly. Looking forward to visiting your blog.