Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Spins


First Friday in Wilmington is a great opportunity to see what's going on around town.
Scott and I headed to the Delaware Museum of Natural History where Scott's squash buddy Halsey Spruance is Director and Stan Smokler had the opening for his exhibition Steel Currents. It was a very fun evening on many levels....Turns out that Stan the Man on the squash court is also Stan the Artist that I had heard about. Stan is a wonderful sculptor using found metals and objects that he transforms into organic forms that are unique beings unto themselves. The piece above is not in this show but has that lyrical and fluid sensability found in is work. Stan also teaches a week long summer welding workshop at his home studio in Landenberg, PA. Also, that night, we met a couple other accomplished sculptors Dennis Beach and Dave Meyer who assist during the week at the Stan's "Art Camp" (!)

What was really fun for me was going out to Buckleys for dinner and a local brew and talking about art with my new art buddies. It's always an adventure when you move somewhere new as we did a couple of years ago, but it is also a challenge (and yes an adventure) finding kindred spirits. I find that my studio time is that much richer when my time outside the studio is being fed by art and ideas.

Dennis recently sent me this link to her video on youtube that shows a piece currently on exhibition at the Delaware Center for Contemporary Art. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gGFykAAO7M





No comments: