Thursday, January 31, 2008

Confession



I have a confession to make... I have been making these knives, forks, and spoons out of wire, heavily beaten plant fibers like flax and abaca, and then encaustic (wax). I am also doing drawings of cutlery as well. ... and I don't know what the heck I am going to do with them. I kind of know why I am using this imagery- my Nana Rose left me her sterling silver cutlery when she passed in 1984, and I certainly don't eat with them that often. But I started thinking about what gets passed down through generations and what we do with that "stuff" be it possessions, family traditions, family secrets, and genetic predispositions - like my BRCA 2 gene for breast cancer.

I would feel guilty melting the silver down for sculpture, and I am not ready to sell them so I see them as some sort of connection to my past, making something in the present, something fragile, etheral, skeletal... but what to do with them... heck I just don't know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

come on now, there is no room for guilt about how you should use your stuff.

The shabbiest teddy bear is the one who has the most love.

What is shameful is just owning things and not even looking at them.

I vote for melting them down if you choose to!